Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Tuesday is the New Monday

Last week's weigh-in: 135.6lbs
This week's weigh-in: 135.4lbs
Goal weight: 133lbs

I'm not really sure if the lack of change is my failure to properly encorporate the new meal plan rules into my diet or because of Thanksgiving weekend which included four less-than-ideal meals. I did avoid all alcohol though, to many comments of "Why aren't you drinking?" and "It's Thanksgiving dinner, I wouldn't ruin it by drinking water instead of wine."

Also, when I brought up the fact that I am trying to eat more whole foods and being strict with my diet to lose what I've recently gained and learn to maintain my weight, all I met was criticism. "You shouldn't be dieting, you're already too skinny." "You have no fat to lose." "It's unhealthy to be too thin." et cetera. I even got eye rolls when I said one reason we were late was because I exercised that morning.

Screw you people, I'm going home.

I know most of it is misunderstanding - of course when I wear flattering clothing and am clearly the thinnest person in the room it looks like I am the last person who should be dieting. A big part of it is them justifying their own guilt for not bettering their own body like they wish they could. But, as Moose said, it would be nice to just once get the response of, "Yeah, it is hard work to maintain a nice figure. Good for you for trying to eat healthier and keep fit."

Oh well. It's my life, not theirs. I will simply continue on my way and feel good for "winning" at every family event.

4 comments:

  1. I also HATE those comments.

    "I can't believe you're on a diet. WHY??"

    "You look fine. Stop it."

    "You looked too thin before. You shouldn't try to lose the weight. I like you better now."

    GAH!!!

    I do, however, feel thankful that most of my family understands. Hell, Robert, Breanna and Scott are all in the challenge. If they didn't understand.... well... that would just be ridiculous.

    Good for you for doing it anyways. No, seriously, it sounds like a no brainer, but it's really difficult to withstand that much criticism. Especially when it's taxing to be dieting int the first place.

    From experience, it helps to consider yourself a role model. And, to understand (as you do) that it's not you. It's them. Their insecurities, their body issues, and mainly their guilt for not taking those failings in hand.

    It may not seem like it but I'm sure that you're having an impact.

    Go Lisa! May you instigate change where ever you go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      Considering there are many people in my family who are trying (and often failing) to diet, I am trying so hard to subtly bring up diet and exercise not to brag, but to let them know how I was successful. It is so frustrating when I am ignored or brushed off because "Oh it's so easy for you, you're just naturally skinny." No I'm not people! That's what I'm trying to tell you! This is hard work!

      Delete
  2. Oh dear. That would be awful to have to deal with every.single.time.

    It's hard enough to diet without having to constantly justify it to everyone. Yes, you look good now, but what is wrong with wanting to look a little more toned and learn to maintain?

    People often have the most loud opinions about things they really don't understand. If they really knew about health and nutrition, they might be more moderate in reaction. That is just my opinion though!

    Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People really, really don't understand the maintaining part. Or the idea of staying the same weight but burning off fat and building more muscle.

      I agree if they understood better, their reaction would be different. The only people who are ever positive are my sister and cousin who have successfully dieted and kept it off.

      Thanks for the support!

      Delete